So I’ve stumbled upon a great way to make your own Turkish-style coffee. In your own kitchen! Without any fancy equipment! The catch: you have to be sleep-deprived, one-armed, desperate for caffeine and short on time. What a delightful state in which to be. Ready? Go!
- Pour the remainder of yesterday’s coffee into a mug. This is important, lovelies. It has to be yesterday’s coffee. Today’s coffee is not an appropriate substitute.
- Place mug with coffee into microwave for about a minute. Walk away.
- Hear microwave go off, but leave it because you are likely unable to get to the microwave anyway.
- When you are able to get to the microwave again, press the timer for another minute.
- This time you are able to get to the microwave and take a sip. It’s getting there.
- You will only be able to take one sip before setting it down in an easily-forgotten place like the bathroom while changing someone’s diaper.
- Time goes by, but you realize you’re not caffeinated yet and must find that coffee. Aha! Found.
- Place mug with coffee into microwave for about a minute. Walk away. This is when it begins to really turn into Turkish coffee: thick with settling dregs…
- Take another sip.
- Repeat steps three through nine several times throughout the morning, possibly into the afternoon.
- By the time the mid-afternoon rolls around, that same cup of yesterday’s coffee is just about the perfect cup of Turkish coffee with the dregs perfectly settled at the bottom. Aaah.
- Happen to have some Turkish Delight on hand? Score!