Happy (official) summer, lovelies! Although the needle has hovered around summery temps off and on since March (!) this year, the summer solstice is upon us. Truth be told, summer is not my favorite season because I don’t fair very well in the heat, but I am planning on embracing it this year. Yes indeed. I have already run more miles in 90 degrees than I ever have so I feel like I’m ready for the heat. I still haven’t exactly figured out how to beach it with a toddler and sand-eating babe in tow, but I’m getting my head and heart wrapped around it. Our nest is in the market for a beach tent/canopy thingy right now. Taking recommendations! And ideas on how to make it work…
It was fun to revisit last year’s Summer List and think about where we were then and the season of life we’re in now. I had a growing baby bump and was still trying to wean Wren from her bedtime nursing. Wren was just two and so much has happened since then. For one, we’ve got this beautiful almost 8 month old with us now who loves to share her sister’s popsicles. And Wren’s bedtime nursing? She just gradually stopped on her own, maybe 4-5 months ago? Or maybe more. My sleep-deprived Mama brain can’t remember! Anyway, I’m glad there was no trauma involved and she weaned on her own. Phew. Now she’s a “big girl” of three with an insatiable appetite for watermelon.
So this year’s summer-with-two-birdies list? Here goes. Many are repeats because they’re just essential.
- enjoy my annual corn dog at the Cherry Festival
- can and/or pickle something from our garden
- pick strawberries (DONE!) and blueberries to put up (freeze, jam, bake?)
- eat a fresh sandwich from the Village Cheese Shanty in Leland
- take the girls to the Northwest Michigan Fair. “Goin’ to the fair, goin’ to the fair, goin’ to the Northwest Michigan Fair!”
- stay up late to be awed by the Perseid meteor showers in August
- dance with the little birdies at the Cedar Polka Fest.
- take in a film at the Traverse City Film Festival
- finish painting the house
- update the kitchen and move the oven up before the littlest birdie is on the move
- speaking of moving birdies… enjoy watching the littlest birdie begin to move
- enjoy lots of park picnics
- visit all the playgrounds in the area
- swim with Melissa
- train hard for the Sleeping Bear 1/2 Marathon in October
- continue losing weight and getting fitter (did I tell you I’ve been doing an early morning boot camp? oof)
- help Wren develop her swimming skills
- have a date night with Chris at Siren Hall with evening sunshine, gin and tonics and shrimp
- take our first family camping trip (also taking tips and recommendations, but not your horror stories, please and thank you!)
How about you, lovelies? What’s on your must-do summer list? Here’s to a wonderful summer filled with sprinklers, bubbles and sandy toes.
I commiserate about taking young kids to the beach. It’s a bit hairy but I keep within reach of my 1 yo. The 3 yo can run on his own and won’t get in too much trouble. He’s mostly interested in flinging all the rocks on the beach back in the water.
I love the Village Cheese Shanty in Leland—it’s an annual sandwich trip for us too every Fourth of July!!
Great list! We have lots we want to do, too. First of course is get moved in, sometime before August hits! haha! Farm market, fruit picking, Lake Michigan swims… lots of fun things! Hopefully we can share one or two with you and your ladies!
Pingback: Escape from Cherry Fest « squirrels in wren's nest
Pingback: fading « Be Squirrely