Welcome, Phoebe Jane!

November 3, 2011 at 2:49 pm 19 comments

We are so grateful and over-the-moon happy to welcome our new little birdie, Phoebe Jane!

After a false alarm and a long week of early laboring, our sweet Phoebe made a very dramatic and thoughtful Halloween entrance into the world. I think Phoebe knew that I really wanted to be home for Halloween because her big sister was really excited about all things Halloween, including dressing up as a strawberry, trick-or-treating and eating more than her fair share of candy. So she let Chris and I take Wren trick-or-treating around our neighborhood. I even got into the spirit of it and turned my belly into a pumpkin. At this point in the evening, I was having some contractions, but they weren’t too close together yet. Plus I had just seen my OB for my regular check-up about 45 minutes earlier. I told him I was “ready to burst” and he chuckled, checked me and said, “well, you’re still a loose 3.” Arrgghh. Just 3 cm?! After a week of contractions off and on? Would this baby ever come out?

So we trick-or-treated for a bit around the neighborhood and the contractions got stronger, longer and closer together. I decided that we ought to round the block for home. Plus, Wren’s candy bucket was already getting heavy because it contained a juice box and a full-size Snickers bar, in addition to the usual favorites. Seriously, someone in our neighborhood gives out full-size candy bars to an estimated 800 trick-or-treaters!?

We arrived home around 6 and I started timing the contractions. They were about 60 seconds long and only a couple minutes apart… I told Chris he better quickly eat some of that chili I made for dinner and get us over to the hospital. Thankfully, we only live a few blocks away and “Dampa and Damma” were already here with us!

Here they are, aren’t they cute?

We got checked in, they monitored me and I got checked into my room around 7 p.m. I told Chris to speed on ahead and fill up the deep tub for me. I labored in a deep tub with Wren and I don’t know how I could’ve achieved my goal of having a low-intervention, natural hospital birth without it. So I climbed on in and within fifteen minutes of laboring with the jets, my water broke. And the pain got so strong and all I could think was, there is no way I can do this, thinking I’d have to labor like that for at least another six hours, or days, there’s no way to know for sure. I let the nurse know what had happened and she said I could continue to stay in, but right away I started to feel Phoebe coming out already so I let the nurse know and she told me I needed to get out. I told her I didn’t think I could because the baby was here and she helped Chris hoist me out of the tub. I walked the short distance to the bed and my OB just arrived and told me to get up into the bed and I said, no I can’t, the baby was here. He checked and sure enough, the baby was here. He had just enough time to get his second glove on and catch our new little birdie like a football and pass her up to me! Just like that. Crazy stuff. Our Phoebe Jane was here!

On October 31, 2011 at 7:19 p.m. Phoebe Jane Walter was born! She’s a tall, thin birdie: 6 lb, 12 oz and 21 inches. And I know I’m biased, lovelies, but she is really an incredibly beautiful little lady and we’re so very glad that she is here with us in our nest.

About these ads

Entry filed under: baby, gratitude, holiday. Tags: , , .

volunteers sister wonder

19 Comments Add your own

• 1. Torre  |  November 3, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Amazing night Ashlea! Thank you for sharing. I’m so thrilled for all of you. Phoebe is a beautiful baby. :)

• 2. BeSquirrely  |  November 3, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Thanks, Torre! I’m bummed we didn’t get to see your little chickadee though!

• 3. Melissa  |  November 3, 2011 at 3:00 pm

So happy for you, Ash. I’ve been thinking so much about you all week. Call me–I’m ready to whip up some food for your nest as soon as you are!

• 4. Zane  |  November 3, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Congratulations! What a beauty (and such a lovely name)!

Now you know I’m biased, but two little girls. . . how absolutely wonderful!

Thank you for sharing your story. I never tire of hearing birth stories. I love how every single one (like every single child) is so unique.

Enjoy your babymoon in your cozy nest!

• 5. jen  |  November 3, 2011 at 3:39 pm

congratulations!! what an amazing story! i wish the birth of my two were as easy and dramatic! the best to you and your family.

• 6. Jennifer  |  November 3, 2011 at 3:46 pm

What a great birthing story. It gave me the chills (in a good way). So happy for you and your family and glad everyone is healthy. Dampa and Damma are so cute!

• 7. doreen  |  November 3, 2011 at 3:57 pm

congratulations ashlea! what a story! really, i just can’t even imagine how fast things went for you. so glad that it all went well and you have a beautiful healthy addition to your lovely lovely nest.

• 8. Marika  |  November 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Congrats Ashlea! And Chris and Wren! And Phoebe too, for that matter! What an incredible story. Sounds like best case scenario all around. I can’t wait to meet her!

• 9. Lori on Little Traverse Bay  |  November 3, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Congratulations and welcome to Phoebe!

(And yes, full-size bars—they want to be “The House”! …So do we!)

• 10. Brad Pauly  |  November 3, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Awesome! Congratulations!

• 11. Celina  |  November 3, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Your daughter is beautiful and I love that name… It was on my list of baby names too! Congradulations!!!

• 12. Sarah Bearup-Neal  |  November 3, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Wren comes honestly by her love of costuming. Judy and Jon are a bona fide hoot. What great DNA they’re contributing.

• 13. Rachael Franks Taylor  |  November 3, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Love the story of Phoebe’s arrival, love her, love you! XOXO

• 14. Gore  |  November 3, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Wow! And yay! So glad that Phoebe is here, and Mama’s feeling strong, enough so to share the wonderful story with us already. I hope that you’re all doing great, enjoying time with each other to cuddle and just be amazed by new life. Sending all of you lots of love.

• 15. Britny  |  November 4, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Congratulations Walter Family!!! Great birth story !

• 16. BeSquirrely  |  November 7, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Thank you so much, Britny!!

• 17. lisa  |  November 4, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Congratulations, Ashlea! What a sweet little girl – sisters! How special. Sounds like your birth was perfect. Enjoy this special time.

• 18. BeSquirrely  |  November 7, 2011 at 4:41 pm

We are enjoying this special time. Hope to see you ladies at dance soon!

• 19. heather at wordplayhouse®  |  November 17, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Beautiful! Loved(!) the pumpkin belly!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

loves

good coffee, fresh snow, Lake Michigan in August, swimming pools, marzipan, babies & puppies, maps, Scandinavian design, learning, ashtanga yoga, color, zinfandel, postcards, succulents, new pencils, collecting old globes, digging in the dirt. My favorite German words: Quatsch u. Balaststoffe.

Find me on Instagram

Post Nutcracker cocoa with @morselstc . Christmas gets more diverse every year! Caption this. Fashioning my own ugly Christmas sweater. The irony will be lost on the birdies. Also regifting chocolates. Holidaze is in full effect. Winter 1979. #tbt How can people not like winter? It can be so mind-blowingly beautiful, I can hardly stand it. #winter #tcmi This just showed up under the tree! Happy snowy squirrel. Pounding the pavement. No hat. No mittens. Dropped the jacket after one mile. December?! Deep discussion.

Contact me!

Please send rants, tips, ideas, ponderings, and more to besquirrely at gmail dot com

Enter your e-mail address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by e-mail.

Join 365 other followers

Join 365 other followers

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 365 other followers