Invites? Check.

May 19, 2011 at 11:54 am 10 comments

The little birdie turns two next week, woah! It’s a good thing I’ve regained my energy after the first-trimester slump because my nesting instincts are kicking into high gear. Nesting AND celebrating really. We’re planning a party for Wren over Memorial Day weekend when we’ll have family in town for the long weekend and it’ll be here before I know it.

This week, I finished up the birthday invites and will be sending them out today. If I write that, then a trip to the USPS has to happen. I want to share them with you because I think they came out great. Let me know what you think!

So here’s how I did it:

1) Take a photo of your child making a fist. This was easier said than done as the little birdie wanted to make TWO fists. Two would’ve been OK, but then that would necessitate two suckers in each. Plus her fists kept ending up right in front of her face. But finally, we got a pretty good shot of one fist, to the side. Here’s an outtake:

2) Then I brought the chosen photo into InDesign (any layout program would work) and created a 5 X 7 document with the party invitation at the bottom of the card.

3) I then made a .jpg of the invite and uploaded the image to an online photo service (Snapfish, Shutterfly, Kodak, they’re all fine) for printing.

4) A few days later, they arrived. Yippee! I just love getting mail, don’t you?

5) Grab yourself a bag of suckers (next time I might get some flat ones to make mailing them a bit easier…) and an X-Acto knife. Let the fun begin!

6) Cut about a 1/4″ – 1/2″ slit at the top of the fist and one at the bottom of the fist and slip the sucker through the holes. Voila! You’ve got your sucker card.

Lovelies, I didn’t just wake up one morning with this brilliant idea. Far from it. Thanks be to the Internet and the Blogosphere of endless ideas. I was inspired by an idea for a Valentine’s Day card I had seen over at Design Mom. And she borrowed the idea from Alissa. Let me know if you make one and send me a link.

Party on!

P.S. You might notice our gift note at the bottom. We originally wanted to have a “no gifts” party because we don’t want a bunch more stuff, but know that people often feel they want to contribute something to honor the birthday. So after agonizing over it for a while, we decided to ask people to consider making a small contribution to a swingset that we plan to build soon. This way, it’s something everyone can use and enjoy! What are your thoughts on “no gifts” parties, lovelies?

UPDATE: I decided to change the sucker for mailing purposes because it was going to require, get this, FOUR stamps.

About these ads

Entry filed under: birthday, Find me here too. Tags: , , , .

asparagus crowns arrghh

10 Comments Add your own

• 1. Densie  |  May 19, 2011 at 12:00 pm

You are amazing! Oh, and so are the invites – what a clever idea! I love the idea about contributions for something that you actually WANT. I would not be offended by this whatsoever.

• 2. Ashlea  |  May 19, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Aww, shucks. Thanks, lady! And thanks so much for your vote of confidence regarding gifts….

• 3. Torre A. Boone  |  May 19, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Love the invites Ashlea! Also, love the decision you made for the swing set contributions…works out well! :)

As always, Wren it adorable. :)

~torre

• 4. Mutti  |  May 19, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Awwwww … so cute – can’t wait to get mine!

• 5. Ashlea  |  May 19, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Patience, my friend, patience. Soon you will!

• 6. Paula  |  May 19, 2011 at 1:04 pm

LOVE the invites. LOVE them. So brilliant.

Have been considering something similar re: birthday gifts for the girls this summer, i.e. contributions toward a trip to a cool kid’s museum in Chattanooga, or some such idea. Contributions toward a swingset is a great idea, too. I like that general approach: requests for chipping in toward one big cool thing that would be more difficult without help, etc. and which gets approval from parents, kid(s), and gift-givers…. Yah….

• 7. arrghh « squirrels in wren's nest  |  May 19, 2011 at 2:38 pm

[...] Invite update. I have a love/hate relationship with the USPS, arrrghh. So I took an enveloped invite to the post office to see how much postage I needed (thinking maybe two stamps). Guess how many it required? 4 stamps. Four stamps! 4. Lord help me. The friendly clerk said that it couldn’t be thicker than a 1/4″ to be considered a letter, so back to the sucker drawing board. I decided to get a flatter sucker and they’re also organic so it’s all meant to be. I suppose. [...]

• 8. curse you, USPS « squirrels in wren's nest  |  May 25, 2011 at 9:05 am

[...] the invite saga continues… I could just cry, lovelies. But instead I’m just going to be pragmatic [...]

• 9. victoria@recycledrevamped  |  May 26, 2011 at 1:38 pm

omg, that is the cutest thing I have seen! I love the dumdum too! What a bummer about the post office. Sorry I commented on your later post without having read this. It looks like it would have to go in a padded envelope.

• 10. a little birdie turns 2 « squirrels in wren's nest  |  June 1, 2011 at 1:28 pm

[...] cupcakes echoed the invites, which most people received despite the problems. A few never got theirs (sigh), but they still [...]

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

loves

good coffee, fresh snow, Lake Michigan in August, swimming pools, marzipan, babies & puppies, maps, Scandinavian design, learning, ashtanga yoga, color, zinfandel, postcards, succulents, new pencils, collecting old globes, digging in the dirt. My favorite German words: Quatsch u. Balaststoffe.

Find me on Instagram

I love our street Morning. Good morning. Birdies at the Rare Bird. Danger zone. #eatlocal #mittenlove Wren Family. Apple picking. Gourd love. #mygreenphase Smile for the camera.

Contact me!

Please send rants, tips, ideas, ponderings, and more to besquirrely at gmail dot com

Enter your e-mail address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by e-mail.

Join 366 other followers

Join 366 other followers

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 366 other followers