wonders of Easter

April 26, 2011 at 10:16 am 6 comments

We had such a wonderful Easter this year. It was sunny and felt so springy. New life! We spent most of the day outside when we weren’t eating one of our decadent meals or chomping on chocolate bunnies. The weekend was full of wonder for the little birdie (and us!), beginning with a real bunny sighting in our backyard on Saturday morning. Bunny!!!! Another highlight: Peeps? This is really a food? I just love the expression on her face below. Classic.

We also colored eggs this year using the simple McCormick food colors and the colors came out beautifully vibrant on the white eggs and deep and earthy on the brown eggs. It had never occurred to me that I could even use simple food coloring. Until I saw some beautiful pics over on Not Martha and wondered how she could achieve those amazing colors. Food coloring, duh! Last year I tried doing all-natural vegetable dyes and they came out all blah. Throw some “safe” chemicals at ‘em and voila!

But wait, there’s more.

Magic seeds! We started a new tradition this year that we borrowed from my sister-in-law’s family. The day before Easter we planted “magic seeds” all over the lawn. We used grass seed, as I had plenty on hand from my egg cup project.  We checked on them several times over the course of the afternoon and evening and made sure to also say goodnight to them before bed. In the morning, we went outside to check on them and the seeds had bloomed (boom!!! says the birdie) into 200 Dum-Dum suckers!

And a little costume change for the afternoon… a pretty little Easter dress. Piddy dess!!! Oh, and another sucker. That would probably be number 6 for the day?

How was your Easter, lovelies? Full of hope, renewal and chocolate bunnies?! And a few sugar-fueled meltdowns to round out the day? What are some of your favorite Easter traditions? Will you send me a picture or a link, or share a story with my readers in the comments section? Please and thank you!

About these ads

Entry filed under: holiday. Tags: , .

‘dama’s Snow Bunny the elusive ponytail

6 Comments Add your own

• 1. Mutti  |  April 26, 2011 at 10:25 am

I LOVE that photo of Wren and the Peeps – one of her grandma “Mom” favorite foods. That is so funny. And yes, she did have such a pretty dress for Easter! The sucker idea is a real winner – let’s just hope that she doesn’t expect suckers everytime you throw a little bit of grass seed out there …. great idea to use food coloring – colors much better and richer than Paas – are you eating lots of deviled eggs? Scotch eggs? I will be posting a pic of my silk-dyed eggs sometime soon!!

• 2. Ashlea  |  April 26, 2011 at 10:28 am

Do you recognize the little cardigan? You gave it to the little birdie for Christmas. It was perfect with her piddy dess. Can’t wait to see those egg pics. I think Scotch eggs are on the menu tonight! We have just been eating them plain with salt and pepper – about one a day for a snack. They go quickly!

• 3. Torre  |  April 26, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I LOVE the magic seeds idea! So much fun! Wren looks absolutely adorable in her little dress and cardigan sweater.

• 4. Ashlea  |  April 26, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Yes, Kai would love it! It would be a fun birthday idea too, dontchya think?

• 5. Judy Walter  |  April 26, 2011 at 10:18 pm

It was just as much fun watching the squirrels gather the suckers! A pretty dress indeed. Hugs Dama Judy

• 6. Magic Seeds « squirrels in wren's nest  |  April 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm

[...] planted Magic Seeds with Wren last Easter and she talked about the suckers growing from the ground all year. We borrowed this tradition from [...]

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

loves

good coffee, fresh snow, Lake Michigan in August, swimming pools, marzipan, babies & puppies, maps, Scandinavian design, learning, ashtanga yoga, color, zinfandel, postcards, succulents, new pencils, collecting old globes, digging in the dirt. My favorite German words: Quatsch u. Balaststoffe.

Find me on Instagram

Bath time is oh so fun! Well since it's Eco-friendly... Benzie fun continues. Alpine slide fun! Still life on a Saturday. Ladies night! Big birdie dances. Phoebe Jane's first dance class! Another day in the salt mines. Last swim?

Contact me!

Please send rants, tips, ideas, ponderings, and more to besquirrely at gmail dot com

Enter your e-mail address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by e-mail.

Join 365 other followers

Join 365 other followers

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 365 other followers